1. The requirements
If you are a foreigner and you wish to marry someone with a Vietnamese citizen, you need to know the procedure to get married to her/him? Any foreigner can get married in Vietnam as long as they are living in Vietnam and meet these requirements:
- The woman must be at least 18 and the man 20 or older
- Neither the man nor the woman has a spouse under Vietnamese law
- They are capable of making independent decisions
- They must NOT share any blood relatives within the last three generations
Note: The following people are not allowed to get married in Vietnam:
- Adoptive parents and adopted children, stepfather and daughter-in-law, stepmother and son-in-law, stepfather and his wife’s daughter, stepmother and her husband’s son
- Same-sex couples
All documents from a foreign country must be translated into Vietnamese and certified by either a Vietnamese notary public or the Vietnamese Embassy/Consulate in that country. One or both applicants must submit two copies of all documents to the Department of Justice in the area of residence of one of the applicants. Application via a third party is not accepted.
- A completed marriage application form in Vietnam: your photo, your personal information, your signature.
- Certificate of No-Marriage Records issued within the past six months by state or provincial authorities stating that no marriage license or marriage record of the applicant was found from their age of maturity for marriage (18 for women; 20 for men); or since their divorce to present; or since their spouse's death to present.
- Medical certificate – this can be issued by a competent organization in Vietnam or abroad and must be dated no earlier than six months before the date when the marriage document is submitted. It must certify that the applicants are not suffering from a mental illness or any other illness that impedes independent decision making
- Certified copy of personal identity for Vietnamese citizens
- Certified copy of household registration certificates or resident registration for Vietnamese citizens
- Passport or resident card – foreigners and Vietnamese citizens residing abroad
- Temporary/Permanent resident card – foreigners residing in Vietnam
- Application fee
3. The place to get the marriage registration: Department of Justice
The Department of Justice carries out the following responsibilities in the run-up to your civil marriage:
- Applicant Interview – this is to make sure both applicants are both entering into marriage voluntarily and assess the meaning of their relationship. The interview will be officially recorded in full and both parties must sign the completed document.
- Displaying of Banns – The couple’s marriage banns will be officially displayed at the People's Committee of Communes in the applicants’ place of residence. They will be displayed for seven consecutive days – This time is for any party to announce that the couple may not be fit to marry. If this does occur it is up to the People's Committee of Communes in the applicants’ place of residence to inform the Department of Justice.
- Decision - Within 25 working days after receiving the documents and fee the Department of Justice issues its decision.
- Civil Marriage - Once the marriage certificate has been signed by the Head of the Provincial People’s Committee, the Department of Justice will arrange a civil marriage within five working day
- IN Ha Noi:
Address: 1B Tran Phu Street, Ha Dong District, Hanoi
- In Ho Chi Minh:
- In Danang:
If you need more information about Marriage registration in Vietnam or needs any consultancy about Vietnam visa, please do not hesitate to contact us via email email@example.com or hotline (+84.903.278.853)
- Vietnam Visa and Entry/Exit for US citizen during Covid time in Vietnam
- Vietnam Transit Visa
- Social distancing in the entire Da Nang
- Confirmed: New covid case in Da Nang, more than 100 people are in quarantine
- Covid-19: Oxford University vaccine produces an immune response
- Vietnam to consider reopening commercial international flights to China and Japan
Or kindly read our FAQs, live Questions, or our General Vietnam Visa Information.